How do I get a custom username for my Facebook Brand page?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Osgoode Media on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:38 pm

• Go to your page.
  • Click About in the list of options on the left side of the page.
  • In the GENERAL section, there should be a link next to Username that says "Create Page @username"
  • Click that link.  It will open a window that lets you enter a username, and then click Create Username.

Sounds easy.  If it works, you will now have @username show underneath your page name and photo on the top left of your Brand page.  You will also now be able to link to your Brand page using https://www.facebook.com/username.  (In both cases, "username" will actually show the name that you chose.)

There is one problem.  You might get the cryptic message "This Page isn't eligible to have a username."

What do I do when I get the "This Page isn't eligible to have a username." when trying to Create a page @username on Facebook?

The bad news is that there is no officially documented way to make your page eligible for a username.  These unknown eligibility rules were likely put in place by Facebook to prevent people from abusing the "system", so, unfortunately, that ruins it for everyone else.

Unfortunately, if Facebook publishes the eligibility rules, then that makes it easy for people get around them.  For example, it's unlikely that the rule is still in place where you can get a username for your page by getting 25 likes.

The good news is that your first Brand page often gets a "free" username right away.

You don't need 25 likes to get a username for your Brand page, nor does that guarantee your page is eligible for a username.  Although, in the process of getting 25 likes, your page might become eligible for a username.

Since your first Brand page is often eligible for a username right away, then it's possible that another Facebook user can use their first "free username" to change the username of your page.  You would need to add them as an Admin.  Keep in mind that this is not guaranteed to work.

• Click Settings at the top of your Page.
  • Click Page Roles on the left side.
  • Under the "Assign a New Page Role", enter the name or email address of the user to add.
  • Click where it says Editor to change set the role to Admin.
  • Then click Add to add the user as an Admin.

Now the user can try to change your username.  

Unfortunately, this might not work.

If you've tried and failed, don't give up hope.  You don't need a popular page or a page with a lot of likes to get a username.  The rules seem to be mostly designed to slow people down from creating too many usernames in a short period of time, so they may be mostly (or completely) time-based.

So, after some time, one day you will visit your page, and, under your Page's picture and name, you will see a nice link that says "Create Page @username".  Then you can get a username for your page.

You almost certainly will eventually get the username for your page.  Exactly what you need to do or how long you need to wait is unknown, and the "rules" probably change from time to time.
Osgoode Media

View user profile https://www.osgoodemedia.com/en/Target-of-Desire-Episode-1.html

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top